Re: Philosophy of WCAG Re: guideline 7.1 about screen flickering (fwd)

At 10:36 PM -0400 2001/7/26, Charles McCathieNevile wrote:
>We do not outlaw anything, we merely point out what effect this can have on
>users and how to ensure that this does not occur if it is undesirable (or
>that it does where it is a desirable effect).
>So I think we (Kynn and I) are saying the same things, but with different
>perspectives so different phrasing.

I think so too.  I especially worry, though, that the guidelines will
be boiled down to simplistic and incorrect impressions because it
looks like we are saying "<x> is bad."

For example:

1.  Frames are bad for accessibility.
2.  Animated gifs are bad for accessibility.
3.  PDF is bad for accessibility.
4.  Flash is bad for accessibility.
5.  Javascript is bad for accessibility.

The truth is, -none- of those are "bad" and none of those, if done
correctly, will be inaccessible.  It's possible to make all of those
accessible if you do it -right-.  Which is why I would rather see
"how to do it right" checkpoints rather than "what to avoid"
checkpoints.  Avoidance makes it seem as if you are avoiding the
_thing_ rather than the _misuse_ of it.

In fact, many of the above -- frames, animation, Flash, Javascript --
are ESSENTIAL for constructing specialized interfaces for people with
specific disabilities.  (Remember that this is what the software
formerly known as Edapta, currently known as Reef EveryWare, is made
to do -- allow not only for a "generally accessible" version but also
a tailored interface for expressed needs and preferences.  Which is
why I want to make sure we not only understand this internally, but
also communicate it clearly to everyone else.)

If you think I'm exaggerating with "<x> is bad", I offer you this
proof -- just look at how many people have stated in print that WCAG
says you shouldn't convey information using color.

--Kynn
--
Kynn Bartlett <kynn@reef.com>
Technical Developer Liaison