Re: Meta Refresh (was Re: Proposal: 2.4 rewording)

From: Thanasis Kinias <tkinias@optimalco.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 08:50:45 -0700
To: Charles McCathieNevile <charles@w3.org>
Cc: Matt May <mcmay@bestkungfu.com>, w3c-wai-gl@w3.org
On Thursday 14 June 2001 08:31, Charles McCathieNevile wrote:
> The responsibility of the author is to do things "the right way", and there
> are things that screen readers do handle properly. For example, using HTTP
> redirects instead of http-equiv in a meta element.

My contention was that HTTP redirects are "the right way", and that meta
refresh redirects were introducing unnecessary obstacles to accessibility
_given_ _currently_ _deployed_ _UAs._  If I'm not misunderstanding you, you
just said something very similar.

> But there are things over which the author has no control, such as whether
> someone is using a browser that just doesn't work.

I would love it (from a designer's perspective) if I could say "all users of
NS4 go hang; you need to get a better browser".  NS4 emphatically doesn't
work, in its handling of all sorts of valid markup and style.  But I can't
ignore that a lot of people are still using it:  many people are resistant to
embracing the MS monopoly but are unaware of alternatives (Opera, iCab,
Konqueror, etc.).  And if I design pages that don't work in NS4, those pages
aren't accessible, regardless of how many WCAG checkpoints they meet.

> And WCAG 2 doesn't assume all "until user agents"
> clauses have been met, but last time we discussed the topic there was an
> agreement that things would either be phrased as requirements, or not.

That's good.  I never cared much for the "until user agents" clauses; they
introduced too much ambiguity.

--
Thanasis Kinias
Vice President & Manager of Information Systems