Updating 2.4, rewritten

From: Adam Victor Reed <areed2@calstatela.edu>
Date: Sat, 26 May 2001 13:19:43 -0700
To: w3c-wai-gl@w3.org
The page which contains the timeout that prompted me to attempt a
revision of Guideline 2.4 is now

http://www.dell.com/us/en/dfb/default.htm

The text announcing the time-out is:

	"Due to the high demand and limited quantity of our available
	products, your selection(s) will be removed from your cart
	after 15 minutes of inactivity."

I have re-written my proposed update of Guideline 2.4 to reflect
discussion on the list.

2.4 Do not limit the time that a user may need to understand or
interact with your content.
	* Avoid demands that the user respond within a preset period.
	* Use automatic refresh and delayed redirection only when
	  necessary to bring superceded content up to date.
	* Content must cooperate with user agent mechanisms for
	  preventing motion (including flicker, blinking, flashing,
	  self-scrolling etc) and for control of the rate at which
	  it occurs. Note that flicker effects can cause seizures in
	  people with photoepilepsy.
--
				Adam Reed
				areed2@calstatela.edu

Context matters. Seldom does *anything* have only one cause.