Re: Updating 2.4, rewritten

Even if you had a guideline, I'm not sure Dell couldn't establish an undue
hardship for the reasons they give. But I can see where it is a disability
issue for people with very slow reading and/or physical reaction time ...
Puts you off of buying from Dell ...

					Anne

At 01:19 PM 5/26/01 -0700, Adam Victor Reed wrote:
>The page which contains the timeout that prompted me to attempt a
>revision of Guideline 2.4 is now
>
>http://www.dell.com/us/en/dfb/default.htm
>
>The text announcing the time-out is:
>
>	"Due to the high demand and limited quantity of our available
>	products, your selection(s) will be removed from your cart
>	after 15 minutes of inactivity."
>
>I have re-written my proposed update of Guideline 2.4 to reflect
>discussion on the list.
>
>2.4 Do not limit the time that a user may need to understand or
>interact with your content.
>	* Avoid demands that the user respond within a preset period.
>	* Use automatic refresh and delayed redirection only when
>	  necessary to bring superceded content up to date.
>	* Content must cooperate with user agent mechanisms for
>	  preventing motion (including flicker, blinking, flashing,
>	  self-scrolling etc) and for control of the rate at which
>	  it occurs. Note that flicker effects can cause seizures in
>	  people with photoepilepsy.
>--
>				Adam Reed
>				areed2@calstatela.edu
>
>Context matters. Seldom does *anything* have only one cause.

Anne Pemberton
apembert@erols.com

http://www.erols.com/stevepem
http://www.geocities.com/apembert45