Re: Revising 2.4 to deal with timeout barriers

----- Original Message -----
From: "Anne Pemberton" <apembert@erols.com>

> So, what caused the seizures, the TV's (and with what electrical current),
> monitors, or hand-held screens? WAs it something that happened on the TV
> show?

Yes, it was something that happened on the show. There was a scene in which
blue and red lights flashed 12 times a second that caused all these seizures
in Japan. The content caused the problem, and that same content on a
computer monitor could cause the same thing to happen.

> I'm confused! Why are you arguing adamantly to include something that may
> not even be a web problem, as a reason to not-include content that is
> needed and desirable by other disabled folks? I can understand that you
> don't like it personally, but why eliminate it for others?

I pointed out that there is evidence out there that flickering content
causes photic seizures, in response to the doubts you expressed. This has
nothing to do with my position on other issues.

Let me get this straight right now: I don't personally dislike any form of
media in and of itself. Please don't think I have some anti-multimedia
agenda. My problem is that the wrong kind of, or too much, multimedia has
repercussions in other disabilities and the web at large, including the
people providing the content, and the creation of too much wrong media is
the direction I see the dialogue headed.

Bruce said it recently: nobody can create a universal set of rules for
making alternatives to text. The board game Pictionary is _based_ on our
limited capacity to turn words into images. Here are simple words and
phrases that take a second to read aloud, but often can't be communicated
after a minute of drawing (and, in many cases, covert pantomime). If people
were as capable as has been suggested of producing alternate illustration,
wouldn't this game be so simple as to be boring?

I suggest that if Bruce's theory can't be disproven, there's nothing over
and above the current guidelines that can be done to ensure a net positive
effect on the web. I'll ask again: what is not in the guidelines that needs
to be there?

-