What is illustrated

From: Adam Victor Reed <areed2@calstatela.edu>
Date: Thu, 3 May 2001 20:04:25 -0700
To: w3c-wai-gl@w3.org
> >As it is, that dangling title would seem to call for some kind of
> >marker to justify its presence.  ALT="[Picture]" is hardly ideal, but
> >I guess serviceable in such a situation.

When reading the text-only presentation, I still want to know
what the author considered worth illustrating - and that is not
conveyed by generic tags such as ALT="[Picture]" or
alt="(illustration)". It is worth my while to take in a couple
more words, as in "[Picture of George Washington]", to tell me
what the illustration was.

--
				Adam Reed
				areed2@calstatela.edu

Context matters. Seldom does *anything* have only one cause.