RE: What is illustrated

Dear Alan,
I very much appreciate your perspective on appropriate ALT tag content.  I,
for one, would find additional concrete examples of your philosophy helpful.
Would you please "close the loop" for me by suggesting a better code for
this example:

>  [Picture of George Washington] George Washington in the French and
>  Indian War

Let us assume that the IMG used was one of the more common paintings and
that the particulars are incidental.  It is not clear to me if the sentence
fragment was meant to be a caption (to the portrait) or the start of a
paragraph.  Does this matter?  In either case, ALT="" strikes me as
inappropriate, but I cannot think of an alternative which (1) is
appropriate, but (2) does not interfere with the text-only reading flow.

Thanks, Bruce