Re: alternative content for cognitive disabilities

At 9:35 PM -0400 4/20/01, Anne Pemberton wrote:
>Deciding how to present a layout that includes all the features for
>everyone is what I'm trying to do in the illustrations for Guideline 3.

I don't mean to sound like a broken record or, worse, a product
advertisement for the Reef EveryWare (nee Edapta) product, but I
believe that it is impossible to create a layout that includes the
features for everyone especially if you are talking about creating
_usable_ pages for everyone.

This is why a single-interface approach is limited -- because different
people have different needs.  Trying to pretend that we can meet all
of them with one design is like pretending that everyone in the world
can wear the same shoe, if only we make that shoe adjustable enough.

It makes more sense to have "specialized shoes" available -- one in
each size.  The question then shifts to "how do we make sure that
we have a wide enough product line of shoes" which is actually an
easier question to answer.

--Kynn
--
Kynn Bartlett <kynn@reef.com>