Re: Content negotiation

From: Kynn Bartlett <kynn-edapta@idyllmtn.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 06:32:38 -0700
To: Adam Victor Reed <areed2@calstatela.edu>, w3c-wai-gl@w3.org
At 4:05 PM -0700 4/23/01, Adam Victor Reed wrote:
>I believe the concern, that sites attempting to accomodate one
>disability might gratuitously disable users with other disabilities,
>is valid in BOTH directions. Perhaps instead of squabbling, we might
>explore solutions. This could be an appropriate application for
>content-negotiation technology, which is already being used to secure
>appropriate content for different media, languages, character-sets etc.
>This would require the client-browser to send an HTTP header such as
>Accomodate: cd2

I believe this is my cue to pop up and say:

      "Two words:  CC/PP."

Okay, wait, that's not really two words.

But this is another example of why the WAI community needs to rally
around Composite Capabilities/Preferences Profiles and work to push
that technology forward.

Current content-negotiation alone is -not- sufficient, and CC/PP is
a great solution -- but it needs to be "finished up" on the spec
level and it needs to be implemented in browsers and servers and
server-side software.

--Kynn
--
Kynn Bartlett <kynn@reef.com>