Re: comments on guidelines

From: Charles McCathieNevile <charlesn@sunrise.srl.rmit.edu.au>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 14:31:59 +1000 (EST)
To: WAI GL <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
Nir said:
Only use w3c recommendations means we can't use JavaScript or HTML 2.0

And I reply:
Well, HTML 2.0 in so far as it is a subset of HTML 3.2 or HTML 4.0 is
fine. Actually, HTML 3.2 is not altogether OK, because it allows for IMG
without ALT (for example)

And Javascript is not really accessible. I don't if it is not used at
all. But that won't cut much ice in the real world.

Perhaps we should think about where the guideline fits - it is of crucial
importance that platform-independence can be maintained, and the
requirement for using w3c recommendations was meant to stop people
relying on proprietary extensions to provide any information. So maybe
something like:

(Prority 1) Ensure that all content is presented and comprehensible when
correctly rendered according to w3c recommendations for HTML 4.0, AND
that all the foregoing guidelines have been followed with regard to
content media (eg movies, scripts, etc) for which there is no w3c
recommendation

(or something like that)

Charles McCN