Re: comments on guidelines

Hello,

there are two guidelines that relate to this topic:

A.9 - Ensure that pages using newer W3C features (technologies) will
transform gracefully into an accessible form if the feature is not
supported or is turned off. (includes frames, scripts, style sheets,
applets).
C.1 - Only use technologies defined in a W3C specification and use them in
an accessible manner. Where not possible, provide an accessible
alternative pag that does. (includes PDF and other formats, using latest
W3C specs, avoid deprecated elements, and how to create alternative pages)

Therefore, we have said that non-W3C technologies *can* be used. Also,
although both applets and scripts are not W3C technologies, they are
supported by W3C language features (i.e., the APPLET, SCRIPT, and OBJECT
elements). Personally, I think the two guidelines are not in contradiction
and handle the issues well.

However, if people disagree, perhaps the 2 guidelines could be combined
into one
guideline that says, "Newer W3C technologies and non-W3C technologies need
to transform gracefully".

One worry is that separating "new W3C" from "non-W3C" would cause problems
in the future. Case in point, the "behaviors" proposal that will make
scripting/dynamic content a W3C activity. Therefore, currently it is not a
"non-W3C" technology but in the future it will be a "new W3C" technology.

Also, keep in mind that applet does not just refer to Java and script does
not just refer to JavaScript - there's VBscript, PERL, or whatever else
people are able to use.

--the editors