Re: A Crack at an EARL Vocabulary

From: Leonard R. Kasday <kasday@acm.org>
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 12:13:54 -0500
To: "Sean B. Palmer" <sean@mysterylights.com>, "Charles McCathieNevile" <charles@w3.org>
Cc: <w3c-wai-er-ig@w3.org>
I think it's better to distinguish between an assertion and a comment.

A comment would be free form text

An assertion would be a logical construct that carries semantics.

so for example if we have the following statements (dropping namespaces for
the moment)

:len :asserts {:apple color red} .
:sean :asserts {:apple :color :green} .

a logic engine properly programmed to know what "asserts" means would find
a contraction.

On the other hand if we have

:len :comments "apple color red" .
:sean :comments "apple color green" .

a logic engine would find no contraction (assuming the logic engine doesn't
parse and understand strings).

BTW, comments are typically about something.  Which gives us more info than
can fit in a triple. So what we really would need is something like

:com
    :type :comment;
    :madeby :len;
    :appliesto :sometag;
    :contents "apple color green"
.

Len

At 04:19 PM 2/5/01 +0000, Sean B. Palmer wrote:
> >   earl:asserts (x asserts y)
> > CMN Use DC:author
>
>I evolved that from Len's e:says. I think it is analagous to earl:comment,
>so there is probably no need for it in actual fact.

Institute on Disabilities/UAP and Dept. of Electrical Engineering at Temple
University
(215) 204-2247 (voice)                 (800) 750-7428 (TTY)
http://astro.temple.edu/~kasday         mailto:kasday@acm.org

Chair, W3C Web Accessibility Initiative Evaluation and Repair Tools Group
http://www.w3.org/WAI/ER/IG/

The WAVE web page accessibility evaluation assistant:
http://www.temple.edu/inst_disabilities/piat/wave/