Re: A Crack at an EARL Vocabulary

On Mon, 5 Feb 2001, Leonard R. Kasday wrote:

  I think it's better to distinguish between an assertion and a comment.

  A comment would be free form text

  An assertion would be a logical construct that carries semantics.
CMN so far, so good
LK  so for example if we have the following statements (dropping namespaces
for
  the moment)

  :len :asserts {:apple color red} .
  :sean :asserts {:apple :color :green} .

  a logic engine properly programmed to know what "asserts" means would find
  a contraction.

  On the other hand if we have

  :len :comments "apple color red" .
  :sean :comments "apple color green" .
CMN What if we had

:len :asserts {:apple :comment "well, it's really sort of a reddish yellow
with a touch of violet haze"} .

or (I forget the notation, but something like

:len :asserts
  about :apple ...

   :color
      :red
      :comment "well, sort of green, but I meant to say purple"

typically I imagine one person will be asserting a whole collection of
stuff. And so will an average tool, although it won't want to claim
responsibility for things the author asserted and it doesn't know about -
that's a quality control issue though.

cheers

Charles

  a logic engine would find no contraction (assuming the logic engine doesn't
  parse and understand strings).

  BTW, comments are typically about something.  Which gives us more info than
  can fit in a triple. So what we really would need is something like

  :com
      :type :comment;
      :madeby :len;
      :appliesto :sometag;
      :contents "apple color green"
  .

  Len

  --
  Leonard R. Kasday, Ph.D.
  Institute on Disabilities/UAP and Dept. of Electrical Engineering at Temple

  Chair, W3C Web Accessibility Initiative Evaluation and Repair Tools Group
  http://www.w3.org/WAI/ER/IG/

  The WAVE web page accessibility evaluation assistant:
  http://www.temple.edu/inst_disabilities/piat/wave/