Re: n-triples for datatype values [was: Agenda for RDFCore WG Telecon 2002-10-18]

From: pat hayes <phayes@ai.uwf.edu>
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 21:19:26 -0600
To: "Patrick Stickler" <patrick.stickler@nokia.com>
Cc: w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org

>[Patrick Stickler, Nokia/Finland, (+358 40) 801 9690,
>patrick.stickler@nokia.com]
>
>>  To me, using "^^"   makes it clear that ^^ is a syntactic thing
>>  whose semantics are in fact equivalent to "^"  except that
>>  the formal triples representation is different.
>>
>>  So Jos, you can if you want dismantle the triple into two.
>>  You will have a semantically equivalent graph.
>
>Well surprise surprise. I guess my suspicions about ^^ were correct.
>
>I reiterate my opposition to the use of ^^ in the abstract syntax.

To the particular notation, or to the very idea?

>A typed literal node may *not* be "dismantled" into
>additional triples, even if it might be deemed to be semantically
>equivalent to an expansion into a bnode with datatype property
>(and I am not convinced that it is).
>
>If an application wishes to define rules to infer those additional
>triples, fine, but the ^^ delimiter does not function in any way
>like ^ in N3.
>
>I would like either for the delimiter to be removed entirely or
>for there to be an explicit statement that such "dismantling"
>of the typed literal node is not licensed by the RDF specs.

Well, but do you have any objection to an entailment of the form

aaa ppp "whatever"^^dtypefoo .
-->
aaa ppp _:xxx .
_:xxx dtypefoo "whatever" .

being valid? Its validity would not encumber you to actually perform
it, after all. I think the 'operational' sound of the word
"dismantle" carries some bad implications.

Pat

IHMC					(850)434 8903   home
40 South Alcaniz St.			(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola              			(850)202 4440   fax
FL 32501           				(850)291 0667    cell
s.pam@ai.uwf.edu   for spam