Re: n-triples for datatype values [was: Agenda for RDFCore WG Telecon 2002-10-18]

From: Patrick Stickler <patrick.stickler@nokia.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 22:31:37 +0200
To: "Jos De_Roo" <jos.deroo.jd@belgium.agfa.com>, "ext Tim Berners-Lee" <timbl@w3.org>
Cc: "Brian McBride" <bwm@hplb.hpl.hp.com>, "Dan Connolly" <connolly@w3.org>, "Dave Beckett" <dave.beckett@bristol.ac.uk>, <w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org>

[Patrick Stickler, Nokia/Finland, (+358 40) 801 9690, patrick.stickler@nokia.com]

> To me, using "^^"   makes it clear that ^^ is a syntactic thing
> whose semantics are in fact equivalent to "^"  except that
> the formal triples representation is different.
>
> So Jos, you can if you want dismantle the triple into two.
> You will have a semantically equivalent graph.

Well surprise surprise. I guess my suspicions about ^^ were correct.

I reiterate my opposition to the use of ^^ in the abstract syntax.

A typed literal node may *not* be "dismantled" into
additional triples, even if it might be deemed to be semantically
equivalent to an expansion into a bnode with datatype property
(and I am not convinced that it is).

If an application wishes to define rules to infer those additional
triples, fine, but the ^^ delimiter does not function in any way
like ^ in N3.

I would like either for the delimiter to be removed entirely or
for there to be an explicit statement that such "dismantling"
of the typed literal node is not licensed by the RDF specs.

Patrick