Re: terminology: what's a data model

At 14:48 30/10/2002 -0500, Frank Manola wrote:
>The Primer calls RDF a "data model" in several places.  Do you want me to
>change it?

I think that is a judgement call for you Frank.  In trying to get some
consistency of presentation I'm heading towards RDF is a language with one
abstract syntax and several concrete syntaxes as being the 'formal' model
of what we think RDF is.  I know not everyone is comfortable with that, but
we need to pick one.

However, as Graham has pointed out, when explaining things to folks, the
term 'data model' might well be more appropriate so, if in context you
think data model is a better term, then there is no blanket - "you are not
allowed to use that term" injunction.  Jeremy's text, something along the
lines of RDF's Abstract Syntax, sometimes called the RDF Data Model, ...
seemed to me to set the right sort of tone.