Re: Datatyping literals: question and test cases

From: Patrick Stickler <patrick.stickler@nokia.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 19:16:10 +0200
To: "ext pat hayes" <phayes@ai.uwf.edu>
Cc: <w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org>

[Patrick Stickler, Nokia/Finland, (+358 40) 801 9690, patrick.stickler@nokia.com]

> >Inlined literals and rdfs:range will *never* work together, except
> >in the single case of rdfs:StringLiteral. I wonder if folks appreciate
> >that oddity.
>
> You seem to be assuming that it is impossible for two different
> datatypes to have the same value space.

Not at all. But see below.

> I wasn't aware that this was
> a general rule. I would have no problem for example saying that
> rdfs:StringLiteral and xsd:String had the same value space. (NOt the
> same lexical space, but the same value space.)

I am presuming, perhaps incorrectly, that for one value space
to intersect with another value space that for any two values
X and Y which occur in the intersection of those value spaces
the same relations hold for them in terms of either datatype.

I.e., if X < Y in datatype 1 then X < Y in datatype 2.

If one datatype has an ordered value space and the other does
not, then can they really intersect?

If X = Y in one value space yet X != Y in the other value space
can they really intersect?

I think not, in both cases.

Since I do not consider the value space of rdfs:StringLiteral
to be ordered, then I do not see that it can intersect with
that of xsd:string.

Patrick