Re: terminology: what's a data model

From: Frank Manola <fmanola@mitre.org>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 14:48:48 -0500
To: pat hayes <phayes@ai.uwf.edu>
CC: Brian McBride <bwm@hplb.hpl.hp.com>, w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org

The Primer calls RDF a "data model" in several places.  Do you want me
to change it?  If so, can you point me to a short description of what an
"abstract syntax" is?  Not that I'm particularly willing.  I think I
know what a data model is, and I think RDF can be reasonably
characterized as one:  think of the relational data model, restricted to
3-ary relations, integrity constraints that keep literals from being
subjects and predicates, and the inference rules defined in the Model
Theory instead of an algebraic definition of operators like "join" (or
Ted Codd's RM/T model, using binary relations for the properties, unary
relations for classes, and a different set of constraints).  I was going
to cover this in a separate section of the Primer, but don't have the
time now.

NB:  The discussion of abstract syntax in
http://www.w3.org/TR/owl-absyn/ isn't adequate.

NB:  The XQuery folks think they have a data model:
http://www.w3.org/TR/query-datamodel/

--Frank