WebOnt: Structured Datatypes

From: Jonathan Borden <jonathan@openhealth.org>
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 22:05:27 -0500
To: <w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org>

Concerning the WebOnt issue regarding "Structured Datatypes"
http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/WebOnt/webont-issues-071902.html#I4.3-Structured-D
atatypes, it looks like WebOnt is running out of time to be able to create a
"deep" understanding of XML datatypes.

I am wondering if a clarification of RDF datatypes might provide us an
interim solution.

The current RDF datatypes proposal seems to consider so-called "simple" XML
Schema datatypes e.g.

<rdf:Description>
    <ex:foo rdf:datatype="&xsd;integer">10</ex:foo>
</rdf:Description>

might this also work for "XML" datatypes i.e. fragments of XML that are
valid with respect to a "complex" XML Schema datatype e.g.

<rdf:Description>
    <ex:foo rdf:datatype="&foo;bar">
            <this> is a simple structured datatype</this>
    </ex:foo>
</rdf:Description>

where &foo;bar identifies an XML Schema particule analogous to the XML
datatype <!ELEMENT this (#PCDATA)>

If this is already allowed, I will propose that WebOnt close our issue and
if its not something currently allowed, do RDF Core folk consider this
useful?

Jonathan