Re: WebOnt: Structured Datatypes

From: Brian McBride <bwm@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 07:32:41 +0000
To: "Jonathan Borden" <jonathan@openhealth.org>, <w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org>

This mailing list for members of the RDFCore WG.  If you have
comments/questions you'd like to send, please use www-rdf-comments@w3.org.

At 22:05 28/10/2002 -0500, Jonathan Borden wrote:

>Concerning the WebOnt issue regarding "Structured Datatypes"
>atatypes, it looks like WebOnt is running out of time to be able to create a
>"deep" understanding of XML datatypes.
>I am wondering if a clarification of RDF datatypes might provide us an
>interim solution.

We too are very short of time.  I think webont is further ahead than we are
and it is dependent on us.  I do not intend to allow starting discussion on
new issues unless it is absolutely unavoidable to complete the work we have
already done.

>The current RDF datatypes proposal seems to consider so-called "simple" XML
>Schema datatypes e.g.
>     <ex:foo rdf:datatype="&xsd;integer">10</ex:foo>
>might this also work for "XML" datatypes i.e. fragments of XML that are
>valid with respect to a "complex" XML Schema datatype e.g.
>     <ex:foo rdf:datatype="&foo;bar">
>             <this> is a simple structured datatype</this>
>     </ex:foo>
>where &foo;bar identifies an XML Schema particule analogous to the XML
>datatype <!ELEMENT this (#PCDATA)>
>If this is already allowed, I will propose that WebOnt close our issue and
>if its not something currently allowed, do RDF Core folk consider this

It is not currently allowed.  Dave, correct me if I'm wrong.  We
don't  allow combining rdf:datatype and parseType="Literal" do we?

It may be useful but that is a matter for a future WG.  I could add it to
our list of postponed issues if you like.