N-Triples changes for datatype values, (possible) N3 alignment

From: Dave Beckett <dave.beckett@bristol.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 11:44:28 +0100
To: w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org

I discussed some of this with DanC, which might make things easier for
using these forms with CWM and N3 systems, in particular, the ^^ .form .

The N-Triples syntax for existing langstrings is changing from '-' to '@'
so now

   Reason: easier to parse, prevents confusion with '-' inside the
   language and there were some N3 problems confusing this with
   arithmetic subtraction.  It reads better too, I think :)

The N-Triples syntax for datatype values is:

and with a language:

Since I just took ages to find this, making URIs for W3C XML Schema
Datatypes is defined here:

  [[For example, to address the int datatype, the URI is:

    * http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema#int
  -- http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema-2/#built-in-datatypes

so in RDF/XML, the namespace URI for xsd types would be

Some more, real non-XSD examples would be nice.

Changes to http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-testcases/#ntrip_grammar

literal        ::=  langstring | xmlString
langString     ::= '"' string '"' ( '-' language )?

literal        ::=  langstring | xmlString | datatypeString
langString     ::= '"' string '"' ( '@' language )?
datatypeString ::= langString '^^' uriref

SHORT FORM - for documents only, not normative

and with a language: