Re: N-Triples changes for datatype values, (possible) N3 alignment

From: Dave Beckett <dave.beckett@bristol.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 14:27:10 +0100
To: Patrick Stickler <patrick.stickler@nokia.com>
cc: w3c-rdfcore-wg <w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org>

>>>Patrick Stickler said:
> > >    [ <http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema#int> "10" ]
>
> Are there any plans for it to generate triples? (I would expect
> not, and would hope there would be language somewhere to the
> effect that it would be disallowed in some fashioin)

I don't know; I'd ask the N3 developers.

> Also, I am very curious as to the need for any of the "extra"
> delimiting characters.
>
> Is not
>
>     "10"en-US<http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema#int>
>
> sufficiently explicit for parsing? The string final " and
> the URI initial < seem to be sufficient to unambiguously
> mark the boundaries of the components. Why are @ and ^^
> actually needed?
>
> KISS would seem to call for their omission, which would
> further serve to prevent their being given special significance
> by alternate serializations which would result in a typed
> literal node to triples interpretation.

Sufficient but too terse.

We've implemented, used this and it is nice to have delimiters for
parsing, a bit of readability and in this case, to align a bit more
with what might change in N3.

<snip/>

>  "10"^^<http://www.wapforum.org/profiles/UAPROF/ccppschema-20010430#Number>
>
>  "foo"^^<http://www.wapforum.org/profiles/UAPROF/ccppschema-20010430#Literal>
>
>  "Yes"^^<http://www.wapforum.org/profiles/UAPROF/ccppschema-20010430#Boolean>
>
>  "200x100"^^<http://www.wapforum.org/profiles/UAPROF/ccppschema-20010430#Dimension>

Thanks for these datatype examples.  The Boolean one seems useful.

Are there any language-based ones; I guess my colo(u)r one was the
kind of thing that was beingexpected?

Dave