RE: So now we have tidy literals...

At 12:20 15/10/2002 +0200, Jeremy Carroll wrote:

> > Test case:
> >
> >       <rdf:Description rdf:about="#something">
> >         <p1>abc</p1>
> >         <p2 rdf:datatype="&xsd;string">abc</p2>
> >       </rdf:Description>
> >
> > entails?
> >
> >       <rdf:Description rdf:about="#something">
> >         <p1 rdf:nodeID="X" />
> >         <p2 rdf:nodeID="X" />
> >       </rdf:Description>
> >
> > (please add that to the test collection, Jeremy/Jan/et. al.)
> >

>Answer: no it does not.
>
>It is a good question - and it demonstrates that langstrings and strings are
>distinct types.

Do they have to be.  It seems to me as though classic literals are behaving
like 3 or 4 distrinct types:

  1 basic literal
  2 xml literal
  3 basic literal with lang
  4 xml literal with lang

I'm wondering whether 4 folds into 2 because of canonicalization; i.e. the
lang really does become part of the literal string?

Could we rationalize by giving explicit types to the old style literals:

  1. a basic literal is of type xsd:string.
  2. an xml literal is of type rdf:xmlstring.
  3. a basic literal with a lang is of type rdf:langString
  4. ... if the answer to question above is no add rdf:xmlLangString

  <a> <b> "foo" .

is syntactic shorthand for

  <a> <b> xsd:string"foo" .