Re: Technical tweaks to the MT, for reviewers.

From: pat hayes <phayes@ai.uwf.edu>
Date: Sat, 9 Nov 2002 13:28:23 -0600
To: Graham Klyne <Graham.Klyne@MIMEsweeper.com>
Cc: w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org

>At 11:47 AM 11/8/02 -0600, pat hayes wrote:
>>2. Now that subClassOf and subPropertyOf have 'iff' semantics, that
>>raises a slight complication: it means that anything with an empty
>>class extension, which right now includes anything that isn't a
>>class, is a subclass of anything, and similarly for properties.
>>That has a lot of unintuitive consequences, and I propose to remove
>>them by *defining* classes to be things that are in  rdfs:Class,
>>similarly properties and rdf:Property, and then restricting the
>>'iff' definition of subClassOf to hold only between classes, and
>>again similarly for properties.
>
>Can someone point me at the rationale for having iff rather than if here?

Because without the IFF, subClassOf might not be transitive.
Similarly subPropertyOf. Peter P-S noticed this a while back. BUt
more generally, it seems best to nail down the sub-thingie meanings
exactly since they are kind of basic.

>>4. Does everyone agree that   rdfs:member rdf:type
>>rdfs:ContainerMembershipProperty .  ? I can go either way, but this
>>will require a small tweak.
>
>Hmmm... I don't know.  Why do we need rdfs:ContainerMembershipProperty at all?

I'm not the person to ask. BUt in any case the consensus seems now to
be that rdfs:member is not one of them.

Pat

IHMC					(850)434 8903   home
40 South Alcaniz St.			(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola              			(850)202 4440   fax
FL 32501           				(850)291 0667    cell
s.pam@ai.uwf.edu   for spam