RE: procedure for determining reserved vocab

From: Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2002 10:13:07 +0100
To: "R.V.Guha" <guha@guha.com>, <w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org>

> (2) We use normal http uris and embed this somewhere in the middle of
> the uri. eg., http://www.w3.org/reserved/cwm#implies or
> http://www.w3.org/reserved/http://oasis.org/cwm#implies.

At the telecon on Friday this was the preferred option, or rather using a
special prefix.

maps to

There was discussion that this does not involve a central registry because the
whole of URI space can be embedded under http://www.w3.org/reserved/ (I made
comments about Hilbert's hotel).

Other made comments which I may describe as Hilbert's web-server.

We put a smart on the W3C webserver such that

has a redirect to SOME-URI.

This would then give an operational semantics to embedding the whole of the
light web within the dark web.

I wished to point out a bug with this redirect.

Consider an RDF resource like

and its dark variant

getting either of these documents and applying the usual rules will result in

<rdf:Property ID="label">
 <rdf:type resource="http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#Property"/>
 <rdfs:label xml:lang="en">label</rdfs:label>
 <rdfs:label xml:lang="fr">label</rdfs:label>
 <rdfs:domain rdf:resource="#Resource"/>
 <rdfs:comment>Provides a human-readable version of a resource
 <rdfs:range rdf:resource="#Literal"/>

as the definition of either resource.
In the first case (the light case, intended by the document author), the base is

In the second case (the dark case, not intended by the author) the base is

The problem is that the author has unwittingly created dark properties as well
as light properties.

This problem does not happen if:
- we always use N-triple and not RDF/XML
- we always use xml:base
- we always use rdf:about and not rdf:ID in schemas

Since any of these is a major change I am less than convinced by Hilbert's web