to pull or not to pull [was: Re: Entailment and bags (was:Re: Agenda items for the f2f)]

We are talking about rdf:Alt here:

At 16:23 13/02/2002 -0500, Pat Hayes wrote:
>>At 09:38 11/02/2002 -0600, Pat Hayes wrote:
>>[...]
>>>Oh well, sure, if we ignore the semantics then we can do anything. The
>>>problem with Alt is that if you follow the, er, hint, then your
>>>conclusions actually *contradict* valid RDF conclusions, ie in this
>>>sense Alt is nonmonotonic.
>>
>>Are you suggesting that we pull it entirely?
>
>Yes.
>
>>That will break anything that's used it.
>
>Right. Well, it will make it nonconformant, at any rate.
>
>>Saying its meaningless, is wimpier, but safer.
>
>Well, its not clear that it is safer in the long run. After all, the
>actual CODE will still work, right? But we will be clear that it isn't
>conformant. Lack of that clarity is itself dangerous, I would suggest.

It seems clear to me.  Experiemental explanatory text:

[[

A resource of type rdf:Alt is an ordered collection.  A collection may be
given the type rdf:Alt, as opposed to rdf:Bag or rdf:Seq, as a hint to the
reader that typical processing by an application will be to select one
member of the collection for processing.  For example, a schema designer
might use rdf:Alt to represent the collection of mirror sites from which a
file may be downloaded.  In all respects, other than this hint, a resource
of type rdf:Alt is just like an rdf:Seq.

]]