Re: scope of parseType [was: Re: Flower Power and Datatyping ~:-)]

>>>Brian McBride said:
> At 13:47 04/02/2002 -0800, Sergey Melnik wrote:
> [...]
>
> > > Having to use parseType for *every* typed literal will be
> > > far too cumbersome.
> >
> >Right, but not in the case when parseType declaration applies to all
> >subordinate XML structure (I think that's the way parseType works right
> >now).
>
> That isn't what I expected for parseType="Resource".  Dave, what does the
> syntax doc say about that?

parseType is defined such that if you use something that isn't
parseType="Resource", you are dealing with an XML literal. In the
refactored syntax, this is an XML Infoset.

If you invent a new parseType ("untidy" say), old applications will
treat it as "Literal", and thus any content will be treated as an XML
literal.  RDF M&S did note that future parseTypes values were
expected for encoding XML content, not RDF statements, but didn't say
what to do with them or how they applied.

See RDF M&S
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-archive/2001Jun/att-0021/00-part#202
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-archive/2001Jun/att-0021/00-part#203

At some point I'm hoping we'll decide what to do with these rich
structured values in this datatypes discussion.  We have discussed
before various ways to do this - XML Canonicalisation, serialising
and treating parseType content as a string (sequence of Unicode chars).

Dave