Re: reification test case

On Mon, 4 Feb 2002, Patrick Stickler wrote:

> On 2002-02-04 17:23, "ext Dan Connolly" <connolly@w3.org> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 2002-02-04 at 07:12, Jeremy Carroll wrote:
> >> My vote: no.
> >
> > I vote yes.
> >
> > This is what "triple" means, after all, no?
> > if x=xx, y=yy, z=zz, then (x,y,z)=(xx,yy,zz), no?
>
> But a bNode of type rdf:Statement is not a triple, it
> is the reification of a triple to which can be added
> additional knowledge such as authority, source, scope,
> etc.

shall we say it is a 'description of' a triple? (avoiding the
term 'reification' wherever possible strikes me as a useful strategy,
at least while we're discussing rdf:Statement...)

compare this to a 'description of' a Book, or a person, or any other type
of thing whose instances might be described using bNodes in an RDF graph.
In each such case the properties we attach to the bNode correspond to
properties of the specific individual thing (some book, some person, some
triple...) described.

> Whether two reification bNodes describe the same triple
> does not necessarily mean that other properties ascribed
> to each of those bNodes individually apply to all bNodes
> reifying the same triple.

Trying this again swapping 'triple' for 'person':

	whether two [reification] bNodes describe the same Person
	does not necessarily mean that other propeties ascribed
	to each of those bNodes individually apply to all bNodes
	[reifying/describing] the same person.

I'm not sure this works.

Could you give me an example where we have two bNodes describing
one-and-the-same Person and there are properties on one bNode that
wouldn't be appropriately attachable to the other bNode.

Or is there someone special about describing triples that makes
it importantly different from describing people or books?

Dan

--
mailto:danbri@w3.org
http://www.w3.org/People/DanBri/