Re: handling rdf:value

From: Graham Klyne <GK@NineByNine.org>
Date: Mon, 09 Dec 2002 12:30:53 +0000
To: pat hayes <phayes@ai.uwf.edu>
Cc: w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org

At 10:59 PM 12/8/02 -0600, pat hayes wrote:
>If people like this idea than it could be captured formally as a RDF
>semantic condition corresponding to the inference rule:
>
>aaa ppp bbb .
>bbb rdf:value ccc .
>-->
>aaa ppp ccc .
>
>for any property ppp. This would fit very naturally into rdf-entailment.
>But as this goes beyond
>http://www.w3.org/2000/03/rdf-tracking/#rdfms-replace-value.
>I hereby REQUEST feedback from the WG before inserting it into the MT. If
>people think it should be there then I can put it in one evening this
>week. All the proofs and so on are transparent to this addition.

So, if rdf:value is used *without* mentioning the other property we might
infer the existence of *some* property that fills that role? e.g.

   bbb rdf:value ccc .
   -->
   aaa ppp ccc .

for some ppp?

(Who is vaguely concerned that this may be trying to achieve more than time
permits.   Is there a *minimum* we can say while leaving a crack open for
this kind of refinement at a later date?)

Graham Klyne
<GK@NineByNine.org>