Re: handling rdf:value

From: pat hayes <phayes@ai.uwf.edu>
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2002 10:27:28 -0600
To: "Patrick Stickler" <patrick.stickler@nokia.com>
Cc: w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org

>[Patrick Stickler, Nokia/Finland, (+358 40) 801 9690,
>patrick.stickler@nokia.com]
>
>>  Now, of course, this kind of strictly correct usage means that one
>>  has to say the value twice; once with its correct attaching property
>>  and once again with rdf:value;
>
>Not necessarily. In cases where the rdf:value property is being
>used as a scoping mechanism, the semantics of rdf:value are
>essentially equality. E.g.

True, good point. I wonder how detailed this can get in a primer, though. (?)

>    aaa ppp _:x .
>    _:x rdf:value vvv .
>    _:x x:scope sss .
>
>which entails
>
>    aaa ppp vvv .
>
>which is true, though only within the scope sss, etc.
>
>Thus, in this case rdf:value has identical semantics with
>either ppp or is simply equality.

Right, I noticed a while back that rdf:value often seems to be
something very close to equality. I think it would be dangerous to
say that it has to mean equality, though, since that would have many
entailments all over the place. I think this can be worded so as to
make the positive point without going too far.

Pat

IHMC					(850)434 8903   home
40 South Alcaniz St.			(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola              			(850)202 4440   fax
FL 32501           				(850)291 0667    cell
s.pam@ai.uwf.edu   for spam