Question about SHOULD in MT

From: Patrick Stickler <patrick.stickler@nokia.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2002 14:05:57 +0200
To: "w3c-rdfcore-wg" <w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org>

I'm not comfortable with the SHOULD in

"A 'datatype-aware' RDF engine SHOULD be competent to recognize at least the rdfs:XMLLiteral datatype and the set of all the XML
Schema primitive datatypes."

insofar as XML Schema datatypes are concerned.

I think the SHOULD should only be limited to rdfs:XMLLiteral.

I don't believe this is an editorial issue. I don't believe that the
WG has agreed that this expectation should be placed on datatype
savvy applications.

I propose the following rewording:

"A 'datatype-aware' RDF engine SHOULD be competent to recognize at least the rdfs:XMLLiteral datatype. It MAY, and typically will,
recognize other datatypes,
such as the XML Schema built-in simple datatypes."

Thanks,

Patrick

[Patrick Stickler, Nokia/Finland, (+358 40) 801 9690, patrick.stickler@nokia.com]