Re: Question about SHOULD in MT

From: pat hayes <phayes@ai.uwf.edu>
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2002 18:35:29 -0600
To: "Patrick Stickler" <patrick.stickler@nokia.com>
Cc: w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org

>I'm not comfortable with the SHOULD in
>
>"A 'datatype-aware' RDF engine SHOULD be competent to recognize at
>least the rdfs:XMLLiteral datatype and the set of all the XML
>Schema primitive datatypes."
>
>insofar as XML Schema datatypes are concerned.
>
>I think the SHOULD should only be limited to rdfs:XMLLiteral.
>
>I don't believe this is an editorial issue. I don't believe that the
>WG has agreed that this expectation should be placed on datatype
>savvy applications.
>
>I propose the following rewording:
>
>"A 'datatype-aware' RDF engine SHOULD be competent to recognize at
>least the rdfs:XMLLiteral datatype. It MAY, and typically will,
>recognize other datatypes,
>such as the XML Schema built-in simple datatypes."

On reflection, I don't think we should shilly-shally with 'typically'
when using this strict language, so Ive simplified this to:

A 'datatype-aware' RDF engine SHOULD be competent to recognize at
least the built-in rdf:XMLLiteral datatype. It MAY also recognize the
set of all the XML Schema built-in datatypes.

OK??

Pat

IHMC					(850)434 8903   home
40 South Alcaniz St.			(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola              			(850)202 4440   fax
FL 32501           				(850)291 0667    cell
s.pam@ai.uwf.edu   for spam