Re: call for agenda items

>  >>>Graham Klyne said:
>>
>>  At 09:40 AM 12/5/02 +0000, Brian McBride wrote:
>>
>>  >Sorry this is late.  I've been buried in other stuff and my network at
>>  >home went down last night.  I'm catching up this morning.
>>  >
>>  >Suggestions for agenda items for this weeks telecon welcome.  Please let
>>  >me know what, if any, key issues you feel we need to discuss.
>>
>>  Should rdf:value be deprecated?
>
>No.
>
>We owe the community not to arbitrarily chuck out stuff that has
>previously been recommended and being used.

Well, its not being arbitrary to say that the existing use cases are
so confused that we are unable to give a coherent account of what
this is supposed to mean. Which seems to be the position we are in
with rdf:value. If we want to keep DC happy then we could try to
identify their use pattern and make it official. Or we could just
tell DC that they need to mend their ways.

>In particular, Dublin
>Core is using this right now for the purpose it was suggested in RDF
>M&S - multi-value properties.  This turns up in DC to implement the
>"dumb down" rule as they call it, which you can consider as similar
>the units/value example in recent messages.
>
>This loses for me on the following grounds:
>
>    * no new information - we previously agreed to keep rdf:value and
>      to explain it in the primer.

I was under the impression that we had eliminated it when we made the
simplify-datatyping decision. I know I was wrong, but I would have
spoken out earlier if I hadnt been under this impression.

>    * no big changes in the last versions of documents

Removing something isn't a big CHANGE exactly, since it can only
result in other deletions in other documents.

Pat
IHMC					(850)434 8903   home
40 South Alcaniz St.			(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola              			(850)202 4440   fax
FL 32501           				(850)291 0667    cell
s.pam@ai.uwf.edu   for spam