Re: closing semantic issues (reification)

>Dan Connolly wrote:
>
>[...]
>
>>Maybe we can convince
>>the implementors that have implemented it this way that it's
>>a bug. But it's a widely deployed bug. Perhaps not a lot
>>of applications depend on this behaviour, and it's
>>feasible to "fix" the bug; i.e. redeploy the implementations.
>

>There was a long thread a while ago on rdf interest arguing that M&S
>could be interpreted so that reification really represented
>"statings" not statements. Suggestive that the community might by it.
>
>Pat keeps saying that the M&S version of reification is broken.

Actually what is broken, I now think, is that there are several ideas
in the M&S and they are all blurred together. Each taken alone is
quite clear, but they are different.

>  It would be great if he could spell out in bozon terms (i.e. so I
>can understand) why.

I plan to. I'm drowning in datatypes at present.

(bozon ? Isn't that element number 145, the first nonmetal after the
Paranoids sequence?)

>It seems to me that I want to say:
>
>   I believe the sky is blue
>
>in which case I'm asserting my attitude towards the abstract
>sentence -the sky is blue-.
>
>I also want to be able to say
>
>   the sky is green is stated in http://example on 1st April 2013.
>   the sky is green is stated in http://anotherExample on 2nd April 2013.
>
>Don't we need both concepts?

We need to be clear about the distinction, indeed. Or at least clear
about the fact that we are refusing to acknowledge it, and have a
built-in simplified world model. I think either stance is viable, in
fact. We probably have to simplify this stuff somehow, this is a
minefield.

More later.

Pat

IHMC					(850)434 8903   home
40 South Alcaniz St.			(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola,  FL 32501			(850)202 4440   fax
phayes@ai.uwf.edu
http://www.coginst.uwf.edu/~phayes