Re: Discussion: #rdfms-identity-anon-resources

>On Thursday, July 5, 2001, at 09:23  AM, Graham Klyne wrote:
>
>>In particular, it is not clear to me from the current M&S that
>>(so-called) anonymous resources are anything more than a purely
>>syntactic issue -- that a parser resolves by supplying a unique
>>"genid".
>
>I tend to agree. However, if they do have meaning, I would like to
>see that special meaning represented using standard triples, not a
>special representation in the abstract syntax. One example is the
>log:forSome property use in CWM.
>
>Please keep this possibility in mind during your work.

The problem with this is that it then becomes impossible to provide a
single coherent model theory. log:forSome is a good example, in fact.
If that means what it apparently is supposed to mean, then any triple
using it cannot be interpreted according to the terms used in the RDF
M&S, since the latter claims that a triple indicates a relation holds
between two things; but log:forSome is a quantifier, which is not a
relation. The intended meaning breaks the earlier semantic model.

I would argue in the opposite direction. If we want to incorporate
expressions which have special meanings, then provide syntactic
markers for them, so that a semantics has some handles to attach
itself to.

Past Hayes

IHMC					(850)434 8903   home
40 South Alcaniz St.			(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola,  FL 32501			(850)202 4440   fax
phayes@ai.uwf.edu
http://www.coginst.uwf.edu/~phayes