<Q> Does a signature XML Document need to be a valid XML document ?

From: XML DSig <xmldsig@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2001 21:38:33 +0530
To: w3c-ietf-xmldsig@w3.org

This is the sample detached signature XML document (edited)
generated using XSS4J library.

<?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8'?>
<Signature xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/09/xmldsig#">

Observing it closely, I find that there is no reference to the
XML Schema or DTD in the signature XML document!

I also looked at the sample signature XML document referenced at
. There ain't no Schema /DTD reference either!

In absence of the reference to the XML Schema / DTD there, it isn't
a valid XML document! What is the rationale here ?
Are we saying here that the intelligence of getting hold of the
XMLDSig Schema resides with the signature application ?

Additionally, I note in the case of enveloping signatures, the document
fragment between the root element is inserted within

<disg:Object ID="SomeID" xmlns=""

Here again I have lost information about the schema location!

Now, if I was to present the signature XML document to the signature
application, then I need to provide the schema information separately.

To sum it all, my concern is the loss of Schema information in both
the cases that I mention.

I believe there must be something that the designer's of the XMLDSig
would have thought of which I have so far not grasped.

I will appreciate some inputs on this.

Thanks for your time.

best regards
XMLDSig Dev.