Re: <Q> Is there a business situation to illustrate this ?

From: Ken Goldman <kgold@watson.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2001 10:06:07 -0500
To: w3c-ietf-xmldsig@w3.org

I think this is saying - for example - that I should be able to add or
delete part of a document without invalidating the signature on the
rest of the document.

For example, a bank issues a signed letter of credit.  Signed
reference #1 is the amount and dates of availability.  Signed
reference #2 is the repayment terms and collateral.  I want to be able
to present signed element #1 to a third party as proof that I have the
credit, but detach element #2, which contains confidential data.

Another.  A merchant receives a signed #1 payment and #2 invoice.  The
merchant wants to send the payment on to his bank, but detach the
invoice, which is private - between the buyer and seller.

Another.  a merchant is sending the payment on to his bank, and wants
to add deposit account information.

--
Ken Goldman   kgold@watson.ibm.com   914-784-7646