Re: RetrievalMethod

At 14:49 1/30/2001 +0900, TAMURA Kent wrote:
>Ok, I have understood the resultant octet stream represents a
>FooData element.
>
>Must the result strictly match to the `element' production?
>(http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml#NT-element)
>
>In my opinion, the result should match to the `document',
>http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml#NT-document, because we can reuse
>normal parsing method of existing XML parser.

Given the productions:
   [1]  document ::= prolog element Misc*
   [39] element  ::= EmptyElemTag | STag content ETag

The difference between the document and element is that a document might
have Misc, and it will have a prolog (but the prolog itself has optional
symbols), so how different is the processing? Actually, my original
statement was wrong, the referent of the RetrievalMethod will be a document
*or* element, and the reason I conclude this is the same as for Reference:
one might have an XPath expression that identifies a node (where I identify
a particular key structure in another XML document) that then must be
serialized; or it might be a URI without a fragment that identifies a
document. (Though we recommend against fragments in Reference URIs, and
encourage them to be placed in Transforms in section 4.3.3.2)

Now, I'm just reading the spec to the best of my ability, I'm not
necessarily arguing for what I conclude, so if you think it should be
something else, please say so!

__