Re: RetrievalMethod

In message "Re: RetrievalMethod"
    on 01/01/30, "Joseph M. Reagle Jr." <reagle@w3.org> writes:
> Given the productions:
>    [1]  document ::= prolog element Misc*
>    [39] element  ::= EmptyElemTag | STag content ETag
>
> The difference between the document and element is that a document might
> have Misc, and it will have a prolog (but the prolog itself has optional
> symbols), so how different is the processing?

If the result had to match to `element', signature applications
would have to throw an error for a result that matched to not
`element' but `document'.

> Actually, my original
> statement was wrong, the referent of the RetrievalMethod will be a document
> *or* element, and the reason I conclude this is the same as for Reference:

According to the specification, the result of Transforms can be
non-document.

In 4.4.3:
| Note, if the result of dereferencing and transforming the
| specified URI is a node set, then it may need to be
| canonicalized. All of the KeyInfo types defined by this
| specification (section 4.4) represent octets, consequently the
| Signature application is expected to attempt to canonicalize the
| nodeset via the The Reference Processing Model (section 4.3.3.2)

This note mentions the case that the result is a node-set, and
does not mention non-node-set result.  The serialized node-set
can be non-document.

So, we should add a sentence like "The resultant octet stream
MUST be an XML instance of that the root element is FooData If
the KeyInfo type is not ...#rawX509Certificate."

--
TAMURA Kent @ Tokyo Research Laboratory, IBM