Re: AW: DAV:principal-URL

Geoffrey M Clemm wrote:

> So here's the problem:  The primary purpose of the DAV:principal-URL is
> to specify the "identity" of a principal (so you can use it to check for
> equality).  But you might not have an HTTP URI that can be used as the
> "identity" (you might need to use some URN URI, for example).  So you
> might be forced to use a non-HTTP URL in the DAV:principal-URL property.

Not totally convinced. If you can make a URN work, you can probably make
an HTTP URI work as well. Maybe not a pretty one, though. But anyway...

> So the spec says that there must be an HTTP URL for a principal, but it
> does not require that the HTTP URL be the one that appears in the
> DAV:principal-URL property.
>
> At least that's how I remember it ... I could of course be wrong (it's
> been a while :-).

OK, let's start with the assumption that you are right, usually a safe
position :-).

The spec say that the principal-URL must be used in ACL requests. Does
this also mean it will be the one that will be used in the Access
Control Properties, such as DAV:acl? I would think so, otherwise
roundtripping will be messy...

If this is the case, the only way to actually get to the HTTP principal
URL the spec requires in to use one of the reports, such as
DAV:principal-property-search? If yes, I'd argue we probably write down
an example showing how to do that, and add that to RFC3744bis...

BR, Julian