Re: Do server store arbitrary content

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 03:38:03 +0100
To: Cullen Jennings <fluffy@cisco.com>
CC: WebDav <w3c-dist-auth@w3.org>

Cullen Jennings wrote:
> On 12/13/05 2:33 PM, "Julian Reschke" <julian.reschke@gmx.de> wrote:
>
>> Cullen Jennings wrote:
>>> I have a questions for the WG. Can servers, within policy constraints, be
>>> expected to store arbitrary data. What I mean be the policy constraints is
>>> clearly a server might reject a request because it was too large, or it
>>> decided the file had a virus and it would not store it. But in general, can
>>> a client expect a WebDAV serve to be able to store say a HTML file?
>> In general, no it can't. There are servers that accept only particular
>> types of content (such as something running on top of an XML database).
>>
>> Would it be useful to allow clients to discover support for these kinds
>> of things upfront? Sure, that's exactly I'd be happy to define a profile
>> and give it a compliance class name for use in the DAV header (for example).
>>
>> Best regards, Julian
>
> You keep mentioning the XML database but I would have expected them to save
> non XML data as more or less a BLOB. Am I missing something key here?

You may or you may not. I can only provide hear-say here (I was
referring to Slide running on top of certain Tamino instances; that's
Software AG's XML database).

Another example (as discussed before) would be a Calendar (CalDAV) or a
Newsfeed (Atompub) server. Both may restrict the type of content you can
put in specific places.

Best regards, Julian