Re: This Document Defines Two Namespaces (was Re: Combined set of issues ...)

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2005 09:47:39 +0200
To: Lisa Dusseault <lisa@osafoundation.org>
CC: Jim Whitehead <ejw@soe.ucsc.edu>, WebDav WG <w3c-dist-auth@w3.org>

Lisa Dusseault wrote:

> On Oct 28, 2005, at 2:51 PM, Jim Whitehead wrote:
>
>> URI registrations for opaquelocktoken and DAV URI schemes made in RFC
>> 2518 should still be considered active."
>>

> While looking at the IANA considerations section, this text caught my eye:
>
>    This document defines two namespaces, the namespace of property
>    names, and the namespace of WebDAV-specific XML elements used within
>    property values.
>
> I don't count two namespace, just one (DAV:).  any objections if I fix
> this sentence?

Yes.

This section defines namespaces (spaces of names), not XML namespaces.

in fact, we have even more spaces of names in use:

- in property values
- in precondition/postcondition names
- in resource types
- in report names (RFC3253)
- in ACEs (RFC3744)

This probably means that we shouldn't list them all, but simply try to
make a generaln statement how WebDAV uses XML-based identifiers in
different contexts, and that usage of identifiers in the "DAV:"
namespace is controlled by the IETF.

Best regards, Julian