Re: Appropriate partial success codes (was Re: Some questions about WebDAV)

On 10/18/05 5:06 AM, "Geoffrey M Clemm" <geoffrey.clemm@us.ibm.com> wrote:

> I agree that this should be removed from the draft text until we have
> consensus that this resolves some significant issue (and like Julian,
> I have not seen a compelling argument that it does).

I have no opinion if this should be there or not and I'm fine if we come to
agreement to remove it. I have fairly good notes from the call and well, no
real point in going there. Needless to say, if we come to agreement on the
list that is the important thing.

> And I agree that changes should not be made to the current draft until there
> is at least consensus on the mailing list that there is a well-defined issue
> that needs to be addressed.

Clearly there is a well define basic issue - the spec if not clear enough on
what implementers should do and/or wrong. That is the main reason we are
doing a bis. We all agree on this. I suspect the author thought this text
was a small clarification to help on this basic issue.

If an author tried to put in some text that they thought would be agreeable
to group to try and make the draft better - well it depends, hopefully big
things they would get WG input on then take a stab at fixing. On small
things they would just fix. It is a judgment call on if something is small
or large. They author will not always get this judgment call right and we as
a group will fix it.

I just don't see how we can finish if the author can't change the document.

Cullen