RE: WebDAV and Open Pluggable Edge Services

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2002 15:56:23 +0100
To: "Stefan Eissing" <stefan.eissing@greenbytes.de>, <w3c-dist-auth@w3.org>

I think it can be possible that PUT is possible even if the GET varies. This
just means that the PUT will actually overwrite varying entity bodies as
well.

> That leaves the question: how does a WebDAV client know
> that a resource is editable, e.g. that a GET will retrieve
> someting that can be PUT back modified again later?
>
> Users working on a local copy of resources for a week would
> be a little disappointed when the server denies the upload
> afterwards. And you cannot deduce from successful write LOCKs
> that a resource content can be changed. Locking is also used
> for property and acl modifications...
>
> So what is a honest client supposed to do?

May be we need a new live property indicating that it's "meaningful" to edit
a particular resource? Note that the absence of DAV:source (or it being
empty) wouldn't really mean the same thing...