Re: WebDAV and Open Pluggable Edge Services

From: Stefan Eissing <stefan.eissing@greenbytes.de>
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2002 15:47:16 +0100
To: w3c-dist-auth@w3.org
Good that I asked.

Besides locking, one would miss Versioning and Acls using
some kind of EDIT/GETSRC method (not caring about source
URLs).

So, coming back to HTTP, variants and no-transform, I
conclude that on editable "source" resources servers
should:
- send always "Cache-Control: no-transform" in GET responses
- not vary the response to a GET on any HTTP header
   (??? I'm not sure about this one. Julian keeps on
    editing variants in his arguments...)

That leaves the question: how does a WebDAV client know
that a resource is editable, e.g. that a GET will retrieve
someting that can be PUT back modified again later?

Users working on a local copy of resources for a week would
be a little disappointed when the server denies the upload
afterwards. And you cannot deduce from successful write LOCKs
that a resource content can be changed. Locking is also used
for property and acl modifications...

So what is a honest client supposed to do?

//Stefan