Extra table markup (was Re: BOF meeting to discuss XHTML and spec-prod at the W3C working group event at the end of February?)

From: Susan Lesch <lesch@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 10:28:29 -0800
To: Paul Grosso <pgrosso@arbortext.com>, Wendy A Chisholm <wendy@w3.org>, spec-prod@w3.org
Cc: reagle@w3.org, danc@w3.org, Ian Jacobs <ij@w3.org>
Paul Grosso wrote:

>  Perhaps the stylesheet
>  could be modified to avoid this sometimes, but given that the
>  authoritative version is the XML and the HTML is generated, I'm
>  a little uncertain what harm is done by the extra markup.

Removing the optional elements thead and tbody and the default
values rowspan="1" colspan="1" would save 9k [1] of file size
in the three parts of XML Schema taken together. (It's too late
for XML 1.0 Second Edition, but XLink, XPointer, MathML, and
XSLT are still in development and exhibit those quirks.)

[1]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-xml-schema-comments/2000OctDec/0517.html

--
Susan Lesch - mailto:lesch@w3.org  tel:+1.858.483.4819