Re: BOF meeting to discuss XHTML and spec-prod at the W3C working group event at the end of February?

At 08:46 2001 01 16 -0800, Susan Lesch wrote:
>I would like to find out what is adding extraneous markup to tables
>(thead, tbody, rowspan="1" colspan="1"),

Most of the specs in which this happens (e.g., XLink, XPointer)
are written in XML using the xmlspec DTD and then transformed
into HTML using an XSL stylesheet.  I imagine the extraneous
markup is being added by the stylesheet.  Perhaps the stylesheet
could be modified to avoid this sometimes, but given that the
authoritative version is the XML and the HTML is generated, I'm
a little uncertain what harm is done by the extra markup.

I'm also aware of some HTML editors that tend to write such
extraneous markup for tables which is another reason why I'm
wondering.

>and whether we can use
>divs rather than tables for examples in XML specs.

Good question.  (I think that the only way to get a shaded
background in some browsers might be to use tables, but that's
only a guess on my part.)

paul