Re: Extra table markup (was Re: BOF meeting to discuss XHTML and spec-prod at the W3C working group event at the end of February?)

From: David Carlisle <davidc@nag.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 18:50:48 GMT
To: lesch@w3.org
CC: pgrosso@arbortext.com, wendy@w3.org, spec-prod@w3.org, reagle@w3.org, danc@w3.org, ij@w3.org

> Removing the optional elements thead and tbody
I'd rather leave these in, seems to be cleaner markup than just relying
on th to distinguish the head.

> and the default values rowspan="1" colspan="1"
> ...  MathML, and XSLT are still in development and exhibit those quirks.)

I just looked into this for MathML which uses a slightly modified
xml-spec DTD and stylesheets which have diverged but have their origins
in Eduardo Gutentag's and James Clark's original xml-spec stylesheets.

The DTD has

        rowspan         NMTOKEN         "1"

so that after DTD processing every th has a rowspan attribute.
The stylesheet copies most attributes from the source to the output
(as the xmlspec table model is largely similar to HTMLs)

  <xsl:copy-of select="@bgcolor|@rowspan|@colspan|@align|@valign"/>

The stylesheet could special case this

  <xsl:copy-of select="@bgcolor|@rowspan[1 != .]|@colspan[1 != .]|@align|@valign"/>

for example. (Maybe I'll do that anyway) but an alternative would be for
the DTD to declare it as #IMPLIED rather than giving a default.

David

http://www.star.net.uk/stats.asp