helvetica font on Windows

From: Sandra Leske <sleske@iyviss.com>
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 2010 14:31:46 +0000
To: <site-comments@w3.org>
I am really frustrated that even on your website you use Helvetica
fonts rather than say Arial  a proper web safe font.  Helvetica does
not render even remotely well on my PC using firefox or chrome, I run
windows XP.  I have Helvetica installed on my computer but it does not
render for a lot of people using PCs, so why is it in use so widely
and why do you use it on your website? Why is Arial not used as a
proper for screen designed font?