Re: IE 5.2 in Mac

From: Susan Lesch <lesch@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 23:32:00 -0800
To: Philip Dodd <webmaster@pjdodd.co.uk>, site-comments@w3.org

Hello, Philip,

>Ive re-written my side using valid html 4.01 and css (its not
>uploaded yet). The problem i have is this: Using a valid doctype
>(html transitional) internet explorer on the mac screws up in a big
>way. I think it might having somehting to do with the fact i use
>absolute and relative positioning. The code works fine in safari,
>netscape, ie on pc even. The interesting bit is that if i remove the
>doctype completely, ie on mac works fine. Why is this?

Some browsers including Mac IE in some versions have multiple rendering
modes. A Google search will probably turn up other documentation. Here
is a start:

http://www.hut.fi/u/hsivonen/doctype.html
http://www.mozilla.org/docs/web-developer/quirks/quirklist.html
http://www.opera.com/docs/specs/doctype/

I think you can get help with Mac IE in the
comp.infosystems.www.authoring.stylesheets newsgroup on Usenet and on
the Mac IE talk mailing list.

To search the archives:
           <http://www.mail-archive.com/macie-talk%40lists.boingo.com/>